Owncloud Upgrade from 7 to 8 problems

Just upgraded my ownCloud on uberspace to v8 but it was a bit tricky and it didn’t go as smooth as all the upgrades before. I tried to use the simple methods which have worked great with every previous upgrade since v5 even on my Synology NAS. And why bother changing something that has worked well right?

It wasn’t that easy this time.

PHP.ini Problems

especially uberspace users watch out

First I got a PHP-Error:
PHP is configured to populate raw post data. Since PHP 5.6 this will lead to PHP throwing notices for perfectly valid code. To fix this issue set always_populate_raw_post_data to -1 in your php.ini

Looks like an easy solution. Just change the setting in the php.ini and everything should by fine. Unfortunately this setting was just ignored. I was still on PHP 5.6.3 and in the comment it said always_populate_raw_post_data = On so I tried:

always_populate_raw_post_data = Off
always_populate_raw_post_data = -1

And just to see if there was any change I also tried activating the option:

always_populate_raw_post_data = On
always_populate_raw_post_data = 1

Still nothing worked and I contacted the uberspace support. A solution could be found with their help pretty fast. And on this point I really like to thank the guys working there on a sunday for their quick reaction. THANK YOU Christopher!

The problem seemed to be that I once upgraded my PHP version but the ini-file didn’t receive the upgrade and wasn’t interpreted correctly. Well so I did two steps at once. I switched to PHP 5.6.5, dropped the existing php.iniand created a new one. This step was needed to enforce PHP into using a new config and not to be denepdent on a somehow ‘cashed’ version.

Afterwards I could set always_populate_raw_post_data = 1 and the ownCloud upgrade went through without any problems. At least it didn’t complain about anything.

Standard apps are 3rd-party now

But this was not the end yet. After the upgrade my ownCloud admin panel was just a blank page and I also couldn’t sync my files anymore.

Well the backup worked, nothing was really lost, and I searched for a solution. Of course I found the official Upgrade guide – which I of course should have read before, shame on me –
https://forum.ownCloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=26310

And there is one important note:
Disable all 3rd party apps before you upgrade, EVEN calendar and contacts!

So I deactivated the apps, installed the update, everything was running fine but after activating contacts or calendar the problem immediately occurred again: no admin panel. And it didn’t matter which app was activated, it could have been either of them. They immediately killed something, the admin panel was blank and the cloud basically stopped working.

So I had to disable the apps on the console:
./occ app:disable contacts
./occ app:disable calendar

And the only chance to get the apps back to work was deleting their install folders under /apps/ and reinstaling the apps through the admin panel.

Afterwards everything was working as intended…finally.

I also found this guide (german only) which describes a quite similar problem but another solution that didn’t work for me but might be of help to others.
https://www.bitblokes.de/2015/02/ownCloud-upgrade-von-7-auf-8-kalender-und-kontakte-verschwunden/

Conclusion

  • The support I got from uberspace was one of the best and fastest if not the best support I ever got
  • Something that has worked before might not always work again: rtfm
  • It seems that your calendar and contacts are still there even if the apps are not working correct
  • Backups help as always to calm you down

Tags: , ,

Categories: Opinions

About the Author,

 

One Response to Owncloud Upgrade from 7 to 8 problems

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *