Homebrewing – Schneuczek No. 2

New year, new beer. After our first try of brewing our very own beer was a great success we gave it another try.

Let’s be honest: we made several mistakes during our first homebrewing process, the yeast was kind of a diva and the temperatures were never what they were supposed to be, we expected the outcome to be not really good. We kinda thought ‘well it’s the first try, it’s a learning process so what the hell’. But the Schneuczek No. 1, as we like to call our own beer, came out quite nice and even our friends and colleagues liked it. For us this was a huge success and it kinda showed us that homebrewing really isn’t hard science stuff that some people tend to make a biug fuss about. And if several little things go wrong the outcome can still be really great.

After nearly three month we started talking about a second beer. And ‘brewing sister’ Kate – yes I’m brewing beer with in a team with two girls – came up with the great idea to create a so called ‘Maibock‘ and we chose a recepie for top-fermented variety of this strong(er) drink.

So we ordered hop, malt and yeast and also some new hardware. First the Klarstein Biggie Einkochautomat because it should make the cooking process a bit easier. And we also added the MattMill Läuterhexe (Refining-Witch) which should make the refining process a lot easier.

On last Saturday (April 19th) we finally met started working at arround 1pm. And it really was a whole lot easier with the new brewing-hardware. But we also figured out that the cooking pot was not that exact at heating up to the correct temperature. It was always ~5°C to low. Next time we’ll know better. But the ‘Läuterhexe’ was really working great and I can only recommend it to every homebrewer.

Another problem that we had on our first try was to cool down the brew after cooking it up to 78°C and adding the hops. Our yeast needed a temperature of ~20°C this time and due to the lack of special cooling equipment we just took everything to the bathtub and filled it with some cold water and ice. Last time it took us nearly a whole day to reach the correct temperature for adding the yeast, this time it only took about 2 hours.

So at arround 8pm cooking and brewing was finished, at 10pm we added the yeast and it initially started to work quite well. Next morning and during the day we had to discover that it even was working a bit to well and producing a lot of gas so we had to come up with an idea to prevent the fermentation process from a beer-explosion in our kitchen. Luckily we found a solution for this too. It is not a very professional one and more tinker work but it does the trick. We just added the trekking drinking system of my girlfriend to the fermentation pot and the gas could get out.

Now after three days we just here some little gas-bubbels coming up while making coffee in the morning and we’ll have to check if the beer can already be filled into the bottles. Excitement is rising!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Homebrewing

About the Author,

 

One Response to Homebrewing – Schneuczek No. 2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *